A new report by the province, local police and the Korea Transportation Safety Authority lists Jeju Island’s “Top 10” most accident prone roadways. Researchers based their findings on three years of rental car accident data compiled between 2016 and 2018.
Here’s a quick summary from the map:
- In front of Jeju Airport in Yongdam 2-dong, Jeju City
- At Dongmun Traditional Market in Ildo 1-dong, Jeju City
- Hamdeok Coastal Road, Jocheon-eup, Jeju City
- Woljeong Village, Iljudong-ro Highway, Gujwa-eup, Jeju City
- Pyeongdae Village, Iljudong-ro Highway, Gujwa-eup, Jeju City
- Eco-land Country Club Road, Jocheon-eup, Jeju City
- Bongae-dong, Beonyeong-ro Road, Jeju City
- Gwakji Beach turnoff at Iljuseo-ro Highway, Aewol-eup, Jeju City
- Roundabout at Seogwipo City Hall, Seogwi-dong, Seogwipo City
- Moseulpo Port, Daejeong-eup, Seogwipo City
(*) Sections of the main north-south Pyeonhwa-ro Highway and the 1131 Highway on Hallasan Mountain are also listed.
The report has some surprises:
Though considered especially careless by locals, rental car drivers account for just 10 percent of all traffic accidents. This may be due to the relative inexperience of the drivers (many people in Seoul and Busan don’t own cars) and their unfamiliarity with Jeju’s roads and roundabouts.
Just two of the top ten areas are in Seogwipo. However, more pedestrians in Seogwipo are struck by cars on its rural roadways.
Connect with us on social media:
Travel Info by Chat (9 a.m. to 6 p.m. KST): www.visitjeju.net/u/1MD